Sunday, August 22, 2010

Edinburgh Tattoo

Nope. Not that kind. Are you kidding? They use needles to do that, they jab you repeatedly!

This is a "band" thing. One of my first trips while here in the UK was to Edinburgh. Awesome place. While there I saw lot's of info on the upcoming Tattoo, so I planned on coming back to Scotland for my last weekend.

I'm not if I can describe it adequately. It's a 60 year old event, staged at the Edinburgh Castle. They build stands in front of the castle creating a "stage" area. Watching 100+ bagpipers come out of the drawbridge of a castle in Scotland is an awesome thing. They had bands from all over the world, a large group of Highland Dancers, and more bagpipes than you will ever see in your life.

The event is sold out every performance for almost a month. The term "tattoo" is actually taken from an old evening call to tell the taverns to turn off the beer tap and send the soldiers home.



A short video of just a few of the groups...

No comments:

Post a Comment